Thursday, June 8
We’ll be performing at the Laurier Heights Seniors Community Tea gig from 3:00-4:00 P.M. on Thursday, June 8 at the Laurier Heights Community League, 14405 82 Avenue.
Any ukulele player is welcome to join us to perform with the group at this engagement. Chairs are provided, bring your own stand.
We’ll be playing songs selected from repertoire lists 12, 13, and 14 (click to see them) and O Canada (download it here).
Hope to see you there!
Join the ukulele community June 22 for a concert and workshop!
Mark Jackson and Jane Jelbart lead a fun co-operative workshop and perform for the group. Bring your ukulele, or you’ll feel all weird and self-conscious, probably.
What will you learn? Check them out on YouTube to see video of previous workshops.
- WHEN Thursday, June 22, 2017, 7:00-9:15 P. M.
- WHERE Strathcona County Community Centre (Councillor’s Chambers)
401 Festival Ln, Sherwood Park, AB
- REGISTRATION $35.00 per participant. To register, set up a profile and register online at the summer add-in programs and workshops page for Strathcona County, or you could call 780-464-2852 or visit www.strathcona.ca to see other ways to register.
Ukestration describes the process of breaking down a piece of music into multiple parts (yeah, orchestration!) to play as a group. These parts are customized to your skill level to allow everybody to play and contribute to the sound.
The Circle will meet to rehearse for the John Janzen event from 6:30 – 8:00 P.M. on Thursday, June 1 at the Woodcroft Library, 13420 114 Avenue.
The Woodcroft Library is just a bit north of Westmount Mall.
(Read on if you want to leave a comment.)
Oops! We had to replace a song.
Edmonton Ukulele Circle
Don’t Fence Me In – Blue p. 85
Sweet Georgia Brown – Blue p. 334
All of Me – Yellow p. 20
Any Time – Yellow p. 25
*It’s Only A Paper Moon – Yellow p. 133
*Formerly Sunny Side Of the Street, already claimed by Strathcona County!
MORE INFO? See the John Janzen Centre event page here on our site.
(Read on to see the full, updated song lists.)
Sunday, May 21 (Bogani Cafe Circle) and Monday, May 22 (Cafe Blackbird Circle) are both cancelled due to the Victoria Day long weekend.
The universe aligned in a rare way to cause 3rd Sunday (Bogani) and 4th Monday (Blackbird) to occur on the same weekend. Also, it’s the long weekend. There was talk of adapting the time to accommodate our host cafes, and/or playing a possibly very-low-attendance circle, but it was decided that it would be best to leave the holiday alone.
It’s a long time to go without, especially for Bogani circle folk, so go forth and strum! Drink lemonade and relax in the sun.
See you in June! Would anyone like to meet in early June to rehearse some of the John Janzen songs? (Tentative schedule: June 1, the library by Westmount.)
Did you miss out on Hipster Owl?
Good news, he is back, and looking snootily at you over his glasses. I’ll be placing the order in time for you to wear it to John Janzen (June 11)
- Is it sold by the Edmonton Ukulele Circle? Nope, same as last time, these items are designed and produced and offered by a Circle member to you.
- When will I get it? After June 1.
- Is it the same shirt as was available in February? Yep. Maroon colour, standard order is a unisex short sleeve Gildan heavyweight cotton, sizes S-M-L-XL-2XL-3XL. Cost is $30, payable by cash or e-transfer. Pre-payment is preferred, but a small number of common sizes will be made available for the naked or the late or the impulse shopper.
- Can you special-request ladies or youth sizes? Yeah, I got your back. You can also ask about other sizes, and you will be accommodated if they are available. These special requests must be prepaid (preferably by e-transfer) however, as they will not be ordered unless they have a happy home to go to.
- Why did it take so long? GOOD REASONS. But if you spoke to me earlier about reordering, I still have your name. (You’re not obligated to buy one, but I still have your name/size. Just let me know.)
- What else you got goin’ on? I have that shirt already! How about a different design on a serious tote bag tough enough to carry both Daily Ukulele books, plus carry your kazoo and your water bottle? A different shirt, maybe? I’m thinking spring green with a nice nature-theme ukulele, or something. Another post will have details. Here is a secret: A new tote and a new design shirt will be door prizes at John Janzen!
Contact form inside, so read on:
Monday, May 8
The Circle will meet at our regular time from 6:30 to 8:30. We’ll be running through some of the tunes for next month’s John Janzen Nature Centre event (read on). There’s a star next to the ones we should try first. Of course, we’ll do Player’s Choice song selections, too.
(Read on for the repertoire list, or to leave a comment with your song choice!)